A Trip Through the South - The Outer Banks and Myrtle Beach
I can't really describe how magical it was to embark on a 10 day road trip with my favorite people through the South. I'll try my best though.
The first two nights of our trip was spent in the Outer Banks. We actually ended up there very last minute (you have to be flexible when a tropical storm is following your vacation route). Our first night was spent at a campsite. The site was unreal, like something I've only ever read about. It was a short walk from the ocean, and all you could hear was the rolling sound of waves, frogs and crickets. Here are some musings about camp life:
- I hate bugs... and of course I'm the only one who got bit by a tick.
- Ooh.. I found a new bug to hate! Chiggers 😔
- I do love small frogs though.
- The group of women in the site next to us were pretty neat. They sang songs all night, then drunkenly meandered onto our site at 12 AM, when they heard the boys singing and playing guitar. The women were on an annual camping trip they had done for the past twenty something years. Another fun fact, we have no idea what these women looked like... since we only had one small lantern, our site was basically pitch black. Amazingly, we all still managed to talk, sing, drink and just have fun.
- I don't want to name the place we camped at, because the beach it was next to was the most perfect American beach I've ever been to, and I want to greedily keep it secret for the four of us. I actually swam in the ocean, AND LIKED IT! I'd love to go back there someday.
The next day, we tried to make it to Myrtle Beach, but the Outer Banks insisted we stay another day. The ferry was full, so we were kind of stuck in a small town called Ocracoke until the next morning. Here are some memories of this bizarre little town:
- Damnnnn do people like to stare! This would be a common theme for the duration of our trip, but we first really noticed it here.
- Eduardo's Taco Stand = Pure perfection
- The little motel we stayed at was adorable. Best part was the heated pool that nobody was using. Stephanie and I enjoyed our dranks poolside, without a soul in sight (except for a bloodthirsty horse fly that was intent on torturing us).
- Dino need his own travel/restaurant critiquing show.
- They have their own accent here!!! Ocracoke Brogue. Look it up, its fascinating.
We were able to finally escape the Outer Banks by ferry and make our way to Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach was an amazingly weird place. We could have spent days there, just people watching and soaking in all the crazy attractions that are scattered all over. It felt like a little slice of Fremont Street. A few little memories of Myrtle Beach:
- Cramps from hell can be cured by two Painkiller tiki drinks and good times with wonderful people.
- Trump country is alive and well in MB... it is both terrifying and fascinating.
- This place was nuts. Just packed full of people. I'd love to know how batshit it is during Spring Break!
I'll be posting the next leg of our trip soon. If you want to see some really amazing photos from our trip, check out my soul sister Stephanie's website here. Until then, enjoy these pictures.
![]() |
| Chiggers are AWFUL |















































Comments
Post a Comment